Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dust to Dust

It has been several months since the Director left on an extended exhibit-finding trip (or, at least, that's what she said she was doing). We haven't heard a word from her although, from time to time, something turns up addressed in what seems to be her hand.

Now, I'm not one to complain and I pride myself on my consummate professionalism, but it has been very hard to maintain standards around the museum with no direction or resources. It's all very well for Ms de Plume to send back the occasional box of fragments... but would it kill her to label them? Provide some documentation? Even just tell me what the hell they are? Or what she wants done with them?

But I struggle on.

Don't get me started on the quality of "staff" she left me saddled with either... a brace of mangy and uncontrollable spongecats and their supposed keeper and Minister of Defense, Inky-Blinky who, if truth be told, I haven't seen hair nor legs of in the last year. I have to do EVERYTHING! It's as much as I can do to keep up with feeding the spongecats and keeping the place open -- although I have to admit that she was right about the marketing and promotions. Not doing any has really seen visitations drop off... which is just as well, because if I was running the ticket office, I simply wouldn't be able to get anything else done.

Of course I was beginning to worry slightly about the dust... Dust in exhibits is all very well and proper, but the drifts have been piling up in the corners and under the furniture. It was beginning to be difficult to tell the human skin fragments apart from the diatoms or the butterfly scales. Luckily, I have found a solution that should provide a win-win solution all round.

I've invited a young fellow called Paul Hazelton to pop-over. He is a dust fiend. A particulate fanatic. Better (or worse, depending on your perspective), he's an artist. He makes sculptures from dust using a secret and patented method. Hazelton transforms piles of dust into... shaped piles of dust.

His themes are appropriate to the Museum... and appropriately meta-textual. Here's some examples.


Being and Nothingness



Vacancy

See what I mean?!

Dust mask


In return for his entire creative output I have agreed to allow him access to selected piles of our dust*. He seems to be appropriately pathetically grateful for the opportunity.

By the time that Director de Plume returns we should have a fine collection. I'm thinking of turning over a wing of the museum to it -- and, in recognition of my sheer genius, calling it the 'Administrative Dust Show'.

What happens if the Director disagrees? I hear you say. Of course I've got a fallback plan -- I've acquired one of Hazelton's earlier works (below) and already have it packed and ready to go. I can be out of here in under a minute.


Carrier


More about David Hazelton's art here >
His Saatchi art site -- with many more egs here >

*Obviously NOT the diatoms or the insect scales! Imagine... The Director would have my guts for garters!

PS Mr Hazelton just dropped in with his first contribution to the new exhibit. I don't know that the Director is going to like it much, but I think that it is just fine. And that damned arachnid slacker can think what he likes....


A spider

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger 123 123 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:50 am  
Blogger LemmaLemma said...

Was any of the raw material obtained at Reece Mews? Just asking.

3:10 am  
Blogger Administration said...

Francis Bacon's studio?

3:44 pm  
Blogger LemmaLemma said...

Francis Bacon's dusty studio.

3:56 pm  
Blogger Administration said...

Dear Master or Mistress LemmaLemma, you are obviously well aware of the entirely ersatz excuse that is the RECONSTRUCTION of St F. Bacon's studio... even the dust in it is certified fake! As such it, of course, has no place in an establishment that is at the very peak and zenith of museological practices!

Unless of course, it is in an exhibit about fake dust... hmmm, this could be a world first...

3:00 pm  
Blogger LemmaLemma said...

One might even call it a dilemma.

10:03 am  
Blogger kuku fashion australia said...

WOW.. Sweet Fashion! Fantastic topics. Liked it., Thanks for the nice Blog. This is really Fantastic. Enjoy online fashion shopping with us! We are- Kuku fashion Australia, with Kuku, Kuku dress, Kuku dresses, Kuku fashion, Mad Love stockist, Mad Love fashion, Toi et Moi online, Toi et Moi jacket, Toi et Moi online. Thanks for staying with us.

4:43 pm  
Blogger body painter said...

Good Blog. The written topics is excellent and helpful for worldwide knowledge. Welcome to our face painting world with - face painting, face painter, face art, body painting, body painter, body art, virginia face painter, belly bumps, glitter tattoo, theatrical makeup Thank you for staying with us. This is a Global Marketing not spam!.

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Russian gift said...

russian gift
matryoshka
nesting doll
russian dolls
russian hat

10:22 pm  
Anonymous green products said...

Thanks for the Great Post. We want a Green earth for LIVE, why we need- green home, green products, green product, buy green, eco friendly products, environmental products, eco green products, environmentally friendly products. Thank you for staying with us.

7:15 pm  
Blogger oil change va said...

Nice blog. Try to repair engine oil leaks to keep the environment clean. Thanks- oil change and oil change va

9:10 pm  
Blogger how to remove grease said...

Nice blog. Try to know how to remove grease and how to clean oil spills va to keep the environment clean. Thanks- fix engine oil leaks

3:29 pm  
Blogger joana lui said...

It is great to observe somebody put enough craze towards a matter. I'm thankful that I stumbled upon this process. I am lucky I used the time to read on past the 1st paragraph. You have got a whole lot to say, very much to offer. I really hope guys understand this and look into your page.


safety deposit box
bank safety deposit boxes
mailbox post
residential mailboxes
gold bar for sale

3:34 am  
Blogger asif ifteakhar said...

Thank you for the great article I did enjoyed reading it, I will be sure to
bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from again.
I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a good day

north london business opportunities
london networking groups
london business networking
london business group

1:28 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home